I hate checking luggage, and I try to avoid it at all costs. This means that I need everything to fit in a carry-on. I can go overseas for a week on vacation with just a carry-on bag. I know this sounds crazy, but I have come to terms with two things. You can always have the hotel launder your clothes, and if you forget anything you can usually buy it! (I will tell you from experience that deodorant in Italy is expensive!)
Before I board any flight I always cross my fingers and hope that I can lift my bag into the overhead by myself and not hit anyone in the head. This fear of knocking someone out has driven me to pack only what I need. I have also invested in a super light Tumi Vapor carry-on bag.
My Top Ten Travel Tips
1. Always start with the shoes as they take up the most space. Limit yourself to two pairs, one to travel in, and one in your bag.
2. Select a color palette. Sticking to the same color palette for the entire trip helps you mix and match your wardrobe and build more outfits.
3. Travel in comfortable clothes, but NEVER in yoga pants. Possibly you can try jeans with a lot of stretch, a knit dress, or knit skirt. In college I had a professor who once said that you should always have a good bag, good shoes, and a good coat. You can travel in jeans and a T-shirt but still look chic by adding a blazer, trench, or leather jacket.
4. Before you fold your delicate items place white tissue behind the fold to prevent wrinkling.
5. I travel with my bathing suit in a ziplock. This way when I return home if it is a little wet it will not get everything else wet.
6. Knits are always a good idea when traveling. T-shirts, dresses, skirts, and sweaters all travel well.
7. Buy a package of travel tide. You never know when you will need to wash something in the hotel sink!
8. Always pack your shoes in a cloth bag – it keeps the clothes in your bag clean.
9. You should get a Sephora TSA friendly liquid bag. It is a great reusable bag that is perfect for your 3 oz liquids. You can not beat the $4.98 price!